In Australia, you drive like in the UK and other European countries on the left side of the road. Australia enforces strict rules for driving on the roads, therefore, make sure you are legally allowed to drive on the roads and you are carrying an International drivers licence or Foreign licence. Some states require you to carry both an International driving licence and Foreign Licence. You can drive for a maximum of three months after arriving in Australia. Foreigners can apply for licence conversion if the licence is more than 10 years old.

Rules and regulation vary across the states. If you are planning on staying for longer than 6 months, you will need to apply for Australian licence. You will be required to pass a knowledge test or may be required to sit for a practical driving test if you are not from one of the recognized countries lists. Check the RTA (Road and Transport Authority) website for more details.

Strict penalties apply for speeding and other traffic violation which can accompany a fine as well demerit points off your licence. Your licence carries 12 points. Talking over the phone in NSW, for instance, can incur 180 dollar fine as well as 3 points. Public holidays have double demerit applied, meaning you lose double the points and get double fine for any violations during this time period. 

 To be safe on the road make sure you buy Cheap Travel Insurance.