Planning a Skiing trip to Thredbo, NSW?
Ski Resort Opening Dates
Thredbo is one of the most popular ski resort covering an area of 500 hectares. Thredbo village has plenty of chalet-style accommodation catering to individuals an large groups. Advance booking means early-bird discounts on snow package that includes accommodation, ski pass and equipment rentals.
If you do not plan to ski, the chairlift is a great way to enjoy the scenic beauty of Thredbo. Make sure to be dressed in parkas and headgear as the temperature can drop below zero degrees near the top station.
Perishers Blue is the next in line with a ski train connecting various slopes and ski villages. Both Thredbo and Perishers are popular with families, as easy access to the slope means less time to commute and skipping large queues in the busy ski season.
The best way to save time and $$ is to book accommodation near the ski resorts. There are a couple of restaurants, bars, cafes in the Thredbo Village which will surely keep your busy and entertainment after a long day on the slopes. Seasonal activities include live bands, concerts and entertainment for all age groups.
The weekends attracts large crowds and local bands play at the bars. Other amenities like sports complex, medical centre and kids play area are available in Thredbo Village.
For budget-conscious travellers, Jindabyne and Cooma offer great accommodation options. The online downside is the driving distance in the morning and the road condition in case of heavy snows. The traffic can quickly build up in the early hours when people try to make it to the slopes.
Check Discounted Hotels-Rates with Agoda at
Night skiing is also popular at Thredbo. Check the website for more details on schedules, pricing and weather conditions.
Annual Ski Pass is a great way to save for frequent visitors to the slopes during ski season. With an annual pass, you can get discounts on rentals and accommodation at the Thredbo.
Pre-booking for skiing equipment online is the cheapest way to save $$ and avoid long queues at the counter and ski rental stores. Most people book their ski-rental equipment from Sydney and pick-up from Jindabyne or Cooma. This is the cheapest option to book skis and snowboards and ski outfits.
Australia's highest cafe Eagles Nest is located on the top of Mount Kosciuszko which is the highest peak in Australia. The cafe can be accessed by chairlift ( pass cost $37). Proper winter attire is necessary as the temperatures drop to zero degrees near the top and it is extremely windy as well.
Eagles Nest Cafe - highest mountain hut in Australia on top of Mount Kosciuszko
Useful Information for planning a trip to Thredbo, NSW
Useful Information for travelling to Snowy Mountains
If you are planning a visit Thredbo or Perisher Blue for the first time there are a couple of points to keep in mind.
1. Proper winter clothing including ski jackets, parkas, gloves and caps etc, is a must as the temperature can dip below zero degrees at night. The daytime can be very sunny, therefore, carry sunscreen to avoid sunburns. Renting clothing can be expensive at the resorts. Pre-book your equipment from stores located in Jindabyne or Cooma to save $$.
2. Ski Passes and chairlift can be quite expensive for families. Make sure you do your research before you leave. For Thredbo Ski Lift Pass is $37. Even if you are not skiing you can catch the chairlift to Eagles Nest Cafe and enjoy some hot coffee while enjoying some amazing views from the cafe.
3. Accommodation is very hard to find in peak snow season, especially over weekends. Book beforehand. Some of the ideal places to stay are Jindabyne and Cooma which are two cities around 45-60 km from Thredbo.
4. It will be quite difficult to cover both Perishers Blue and Thredbo in one day. Both places are located at some distance from each other. If you are not into skiing, Perishers Blue has ski train taking you to various ski slopes. However, if you are staying at Jindabyne, you can book get a day pass in Thredbo and day tour for Perishers Blue.
5. If you are driving to Thredbo, you might need chains for your vehicle depending on the weather conditions. You can rent snow chains from ski shops and service stations on the way from $A25. It is a legal requirement to put chains on the wheels in Snowy Mountains.
It is generally suggested to get a three-day pass as a package that would include equipment rental including chairlift pass and lessons etc. The deals are advertised on the relevant website for the various ski resort.
I am not driving. How do visit Thredbo or Perisher Blue?
A great way to travel from Sydney is to book a tour from Sydney. Most day tours start at 11 pm at night and a 5-hour drive to Thredbo. You will sleep on the bus. The day starts at Thredbo or Perishers Blue wherever you book the tour. You will have 7 hours of skiing or fun at Ski Resorts. These tours cover all expense including transport, National Park $25 fee, dinner. However, you will be required to rent your own equipment and buy a life chair pass.