Thredbo is premier ski resort covering an area of 500 hectares. The ski seasons starts in around mid-July and last till October. You can save by booking online at thredbo.com.au or persiher.com.au. The online booking offers a wide range of services from the weather report, snow cameras, ski packages and lots more.
The best way to plan your trip is to book a chalet or cottage near the slopes that provide easy access to Thredbo Village. There are a couple of restaurants, bars, cafes in the Thredbo Village which get crowded over the weekend. This is a great place to meet new people and share your travel experiences. The weekends attracts large crowds and local bands play at the bars. Other amenities like sports complex, medical centre and kids play area are available in Thredbo Village.
For budget-conscious travellers, Jindabyne and Cooma offer great budget options. However, keeping in view the driving distance and road condition, you will need to plan early to make it to the slopes. The resort can get very crowded in peak holiday seasons ( school-holidays), therefore, keep an eye on the mid-week deals.
Check Rates with Agoda at
The weekend brings with it weekend fun with live music and concerts at the Thredbo. Night skiing is also popular and can be enjoyed at Thredbo. Check the website for more details on schedules, pricing and weather conditions.
Annual Ski Pass is a great way to save for frequent visitors to the slopes during ski season. With an annual pass, you can get discounts on rentals and accommodation at the Thredbo.
Pre-booking online is the cheapest way to save $$ and avoid long queues at the counter and ski rental stores. Most people book their ski-rental equipment from Sydney and pick-up from Jindabyne or Cooma. This is the cheapest option to book skis and snowboards and ski outfits.
Australia's highest cafe Eagles Nest is located on the top of Mount Kosciuszko which is the highest peak in Australia. The cafe can be accessed by chairlift ( pass cost $37). Proper winter attire is necessary as the temperatures drop to zero degrees near the top and it is extremely windy as well.
Eagles Nest Cafe - highest mountain hut in Australia on top of Mount Kosciuszko
Useful Information for travelling to Snowy Mountains
If you are planning a visit Thredbo or Perisher Blue for the first time there are a couple of points to keep in mind.
1. Proper winter clothing including ski jackets, parkas, gloves and caps etc, is a must as the temperature can dip below zero degrees at night. The daytime can be very sunny, therefore, carry sunscreen to avoid sunburns. Renting clothing can be expensive at the resorts. Pre-book your equipment from stores located in Jindabyne or Cooma to save $$.
2. Ski Passes and chairlift can be quite expensive for families. Make sure you do your research before you leave. For Thredbo Ski Lift Pass is $37. Even if you are not skiing you can catch the chairlift to Eagles Nest Cafe and enjoy some hot coffee while enjoying some amazing views from the cafe.
3. Accommodation is very hard to find in peak snow season, especially over weekends. Book beforehand. Some of the ideal places to stay are Jindabyne and Cooma which are two cities around 45-60 km from Thredbo.
4. It will be quite difficult to cover both Perishers Blue and Thredbo in one day. Both places are located at some distance from each other. If you are not into skiing, Perishers Blue has ski train taking you to various ski slopes. However, if you are staying at Jindabyne, you can book get a day pass in Thredbo and day tour for Perishers Blue.
5. If you are driving to Thredbo, you might need chains for your vehicle depending on the weather conditions. You can rent snow chains from ski shops and service stations on the way from $A25. It is a legal requirement to put chains on the wheels in Snowy Mountains.
It is generally suggested to get a three-day pass as a package that would include equipment rental including chairlift pass and lessons etc. The deals are advertised on the relevant website for the various ski resort.
I am not driving. How do visit Thredbo or Perisher Blue?
A great way to travel from Sydney is to book a tour from Sydney. Most day tours start at 11 pm at night and a 5-hour drive to Thredbo. You will sleep on the bus. The day starts at Thredbo or Perishers Blue wherever you book the tour. You will have 7 hours of skiing or fun at Ski Resorts. These tours cover all expense including transport, National Park $25 fee, dinner. However, you will be required to rent your own equipment and buy a life chair pass.